Re: [tech-3d] holographic 3d

  • From: lunazzi <lunazzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] holographic 3d
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:38:13 -0200

The technique of projecting with mirrors is as old as 4000 years (the Incas and
the Olmecas).
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3853/olm1e.html

Projecting on lenses is also interesting, it renders a floating image.
The progress in this last years shoul be in increasing the field of view, wether
using paraboloidal mirrors more specific that the Olmecas ones (as Peter Homer
indicated) or Fresnel lenses, thinner and lighter than ordinary glass lenses.

In any case, I think that the progress is not too significative, we must measure
the images to have parameters to compare. Measuring in pixels or showing a
single view picture or even a stereo photograph is not sufficient. Maybe
"voxels" (volume units of images).

My proposal is to measure the size (volume)of the image in liters (lt, as for
liquids), while the field of view would be measured as an angle or, better, by
indicating distance of view and lateral field (displacement allowed to the
observer).  No parameters are given in most news on this kind of subject.

I always worked in demostrating and proposing diffractive elements, which I
consider that can increase considerable those parameters. Although color is not
possible to reproduce in simple systems. I obtained  one first patent iniciated
in 1989 approved in 1991, and another one initiated in 1993 was recently
approved. This last deals with the projection of an object on a diffractive
screen.

My technique is reaching the level of registering videos (it will come soon) and
there are videos of floating animated pictures on my site now, but I do not want
to divulgate it more until I succeed in focuisng better with my video camera. If
you, my co-listers, want to see a preview, go to:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/6146/protTV/holoman_i.htm

Any hint as how to get funding for this kind of research is welcome.

José
<lunazzi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> <http://digicron.com/lunazzi>