Re: [tech-3d] Re: Stereo Base Calculation with a $20.00 Handheld

  • From: Andres Posada O <aposadao@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [tech-3d] Re: Stereo Base Calculation with a $20.00 Handheld
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:04:25 -0500

"Michael K. Davis" wrote:

> The General Solution is an equation.  The author had a reasonable
> expectation that users would understand they are *solving for base*, NOT
> solving for deviation, not solving for focal length, not solving for near
> point or far point, etc.
>
> Everyone I've read about or spoken to who uses the General Solution, is
> completely content to use it for one purpose - solving for base.  Base is
> the output.

Michael:
   In my HP48G+ I can solve for what ever I want (anybody with the
formulas in a computer or the like may obviopusly do it). Doing 3D video
I am usually stuck to minimum camera separations, dictated by the camera
sizes, that require that I solve for near point, sometimes I need to
solve for far point. For example: if I have a minumum camera separation
due to camera size of say 165mm, and the nearest object is going to be
at 3000mm, then how far may the farthest object be, all this subjected
to a MOFD choosen according to CCD size, lens focal length and TASTE.
What happens to the near point if I change the focal length position in
the cameras zoom lenses? Everything changes if I use 1/3", 1/2", or 3/4"
CCDs cameras. MOFD numbers I change according obviously to CCD size, but
also I use more "liberal" numbers if all subjects are inside the window,
be more conservative with subjects way out of the window and near to the
camera. My point is I almost never solve for base.