[tech-3d] RE: Subject: shutter glasses / 3d video workstation

  • From: Alan.Hancock@xxxxxx
  • Subject: [tech-3d] RE: Subject: shutter glasses / 3d video workstation
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:39:00 -0000

Hi Boris,
I have just built for a friend a high performance DV PC workstation, and we
hope to eventually use it for 3D-DV work using either a Nu-view adapter or
twin DV cameras. Having researched the subject of digital video on a PC
fairly extensively and built a resulting working system that does not drop
frames when capturing, I would make the following recommendations

Video Digitiser:
Matrox RT2000 1394 Firewire DV capture board with G400 graphics card bundle,
supports DV Firewire input/out devices and 4 channel audio, also NTSC/PAL
composite and Svideo input/outputs, MPEG-2 IBP format for DVD authoring.
Bundle comes with Matrox G400 AGPx4 3D(non-stereo) advanced graphics
accelerator engine. Software bundle Adobe Premier RT v5.1 special version
for realtime capture and effects, DVDit authoring software, Titling software
etc.
Best street price new approx. $900.00 in view of functionality of this board
and the bundled graphics accelerator card and software, I would say that
this is good value for money.

PC Motherboard:
ASUS A7V with Promise onboard ATA100 enhanced high speed IDE interface
allows an extra 4 ATA100 IDE devices. Fit with AMD Athlon 850Mhz or 1Ghz
chip. 256MB or more DIMM memory type PC133 or special fast VCM133.

Hardisks:
System drive use any 4Gb or larger Ultra DMA/66 IDE drive.
Audio Visual Drives(s) at least one 40Gb or larger ATA100 Ultra DMA/100
compatible IDE drives from IBM, Maxtor, Quantum. If two drives used then
second drive can be configured in Adobe software to be the audio drive or
extra space for more video+audio files.

CDROM:
Any DMA/33 or DMA/66 high speed drive or DVD drive.

Sound Card:
Sound Blaster Live! MP3+ or AWE64 value

It should be possible to build a complete system as above if you shop around
and check out compoents on Ebay etc. for less then $2500.

Check out http://www.matrox.com where there is a description of the RT2000
for PC with device compatibility information, also check out the DigiSuite
platforms. The Matrox RTMAC Matrox RTMac for G4 Macs (available spring 2001)
is a PCI video card that provides realtime DV effects processing, analog
video capture and export, and support for a second computer display. When
combined with Apple Final Cut Pro, the Matrox RTMac provides a
professional-quality, realtime editing, compositing, and effects solution.

Regards
Alan Hancock
CODAS Electronics & Support Services Group,
Machine Operations Department.
UKAEA Fusion
JET Facility K1/1/44A
Culham Science Centre
Abingdon
United Kingdom
OX14 3DB

Tel. +44 (0)1235 465305
Bleep 1747
mailto:Alan.Hancock@xxxxxx
http://www.jet.efda.org  http://www.fusion.org.uk

>    Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 00:08:05 -0500
>    From: boris@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: shutter glasses / 3d video workstation
>
> While we're on the subject of shutter glasses...
>
> This list has seen discussion of shutter glasses for use with frame
> alternate / interlaced NTSC video, and for use with digital
> stills on a
> computer.  But what about digital video (and HD video)?
>
> If you want to build yourself a system to take and edit 3d
> video, and to
> demonstrate same on the editing workstation itself, what
> system components
> are needed?  Please make recommendations off list if they become too
> technical!
>
> I picture twin DV cams (frame mode capable) for taking the video, twin
> processor Pentium with video capture card + editing software,
> humongous
> hard drive array, high refresh rate video display card, shutter glass
> system (ideally a shutter screen, where audience of several
> persons can use
> simple polarized glasses), etc.  DVD-RAM drive for cutting
> demo disks...
>
> I've not even dealt with plain old DV yet, and am fantasizing
> about jumping
> right in with BOTH eyes!  Does anyone on list do this stuff,
> and are you
> willing to share your secrets?
>
> Boris
>
> P.S. although a Mac devotee, I have a sneaking suspicion that
> with shutter
> glasses involved, I am better off with a Pentium box...

eGroups eLerts