[tech-3d] RE: Subject: shutter glasses / 3d video workstation

  • From: Alan.Hancock@xxxxxx
  • Subject: [tech-3d] RE: Subject: shutter glasses / 3d video workstation
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:41:18 -0000

I did not mention shutter glasses in my previous post but I'm sure that you
all know about Cristoph Bungert's http://www.stereeo3d.com site where all
the mainstream shutter glasses are reviewed and dissected. The latest and
best shutter glasses system that can handle 4 methods of computer stereo
display is the i-Art Eye3D 4 in 1 Premium see
http://www.stereo3d.com/eye3dpremium.htm for a review. The Eye3D 4 in 1 can
be used with non windows operating systems because the stereo active part is
all done in the external controller box electronics without the use of
software drivers for the glasses interface. If you want a dual PC and TV
package there are several available but I would say that the best quality
stereo video is that which is displayed on a computer screen because of the
better refresh rate that can be used. Current commercial NTSC page-flipped
stereo video systems the playback is fixed to 30/2=15fps unless you use
specially modified video recorders and dual video projectors with polarising
filters, the 15fps is too close to the flicker perception threshold, it is
worse with PAL which is only 12.5fps. It is also possible to purchase a
VGA-level stereo demultiplexer which turns a single page-flipping signal
into two VGA-streams for feeding two polarized projectors or dual-input-HMDs
but this kind of equipment is very expensive. This brings use to the choice
of computer monitor and any good quality monitor capable of 120Hz at your
desired max. display resolution should be suitable. I would recommend
reading around the subject with what is available on the various Internet
sites that cover it including Michal Husak's work at
http://staff.vscht.cz/~husakm/stereopcvideo.html .

Regarding the Matrox RT2000 there are other tried an tested PC
configurations DV capture and rendering documented at
http://www.matrox.com/videoweb/support/rt2000/rec/rec.htm
should you wish to use an Intel Pentium III system or an OEM system for
instance.

Have Fun
Alan Hancock

http://mysak.umbr.cas.cz/~husakm/Public/Win3dVideo/Win3dStereoscopicVideoPla
> yer.htm
>
> The same chap also has a very informative guide to making your own digital
> stereo-video
> movies in DVD quality for playing on computers at
> http://staff.vscht.cz/~husakm/stereopcvideo.html

eLerts