[tech-3d] Re: mirrors, mirages & "holoagrams"

  • From: lunazzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Re: mirrors, mirages & "holoagrams"
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:32:22 -0000

--- In tech-3d@xxxxxxxxxxx, "sergio baldissara" <winter@xxxx> wrote:
> I'm fond of optical toys, so I  coldn't stand buying the "mirage"
>mirror shell from Raimbow Symphony... it works better than I could
>think, althought the results aren't holograms (of course). The
>virtual image is 3d, but of course 3d objects are perceived 3d when
>reflected in mirrors.
etc.

You may have a close result by using a bulb lamp of the kind that
comes silvered to an hemisphere. By reducing the voltage (ideally with
a "dimmer", or then with apropiated lamp in serial connection) you may
see two filaments on the lamp. Looking from 360 degrees it is
difficult to identify which one is real and which one is a floating
image.

For those who still do not have enough information on the origin of
this optical trick named "La Rosa Azteca", I digitized some pages from
references on the Olmec mirrors:
http://geocities.com/prof_lunazzi/Olmecas/referencias.htm

Pay attention to the photograph on the serpent head's sculpture.

José

eLerts