[tech-3d] Re: Different F.L.s, "orthoscopic"

  • From: abram.klooswyk@xxxxxx
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Re: Different F.L.s, "orthoscopic"
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 22:40:05 -0000

Dear Chuck,

Discussing terminology soon gets patronizing or digresses in
religious
debates, but I will try to add a few remarks.

The definitions of "orthoscopic" and "orthostereoscopic"
did not come from a book but from the journal "Stereoscopy"
of the International Stereoscopic Union (join it! see
http://stereoscopy.com/isu       ).

The terms are not especially English but come from Greek
stems and are international now in the stereoscopy community.

"Orthoscopic" just means something like "right vision".
It was and is used in optics to indicate an undistorted image,
also a particular lens design which achieves it.

My 1979 Webster version says:
orthoscopic:  giving a true flat image without distortion
(A flat image just isn't what we like :-), but elimination of the
curvature of field is meant.)

In eye surgery and optometry "orthoscopic" also means absence of
squint, "straight vision".

But in the stereoscopy field "orthoscopic" has become to mean the
opposite of pseudoscopic. As stereoscopy is such a small nice this
meaning will not easily be found in general dictionaries.
So we have to spread the glossary ourselves, and that is what
the I.S.U. has done.

Abram Klooswyk

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details