[tech-3d] Terms and Definitions

  • From: Ray Zone <r3dzone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Terms and Definitions
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 13:29:57 -0800

Chuck wrote:

> Before this tread brakes down into a discussion of what the meaning of "is"
> is I would like to say that I have learned a few things from it.
>
> 1) Like many words, the word "Orthoscopic" has several meaning.
>
> 2) The I. S. U. only sanctions one meaning.
>
> 3) All words used on Yahoo 3-D groups must conform to the I. S. U.
> sanctioned meanings.
>
> 4) In order to get a copy of the I. S. U. glossary of acceptable meanings
> you must buy into the I. S. U..
>
> 5) Abram Klooswyk is a policeman working for the I. S. U. charged with
> enforcing #3 above.

Ray Zone responds:

I hope this is an attempt at humor.  Because it makes light of an historical
problem in the world of stereography.  And that is the lack of common
standards for terms and definitions of the fundamental parameters of
stereoscopic imaging.  The International Stereoscopic Union is an amateur
association of dedicated 3-D enthusiasts who attempted with the glossary to
reconcile some of the ongoing difficulties of acceptable terms and meanings
in light of this historic dilemma.

Abram Klooswyk is not a policeman.  The ISU is not a police agency.

Abram Klooswyk is one of the most knowledgeable and articulate champions of
stereography in the world.  We are fortunate indeed that he posts his
observations to this or any other 3-D forum.

The "one meaning" of orthoscopic that the ISU "sanctions" is that meaning
relative to stereography which is, after all, the subject of this forum.

As of this writing, a committee has been formed under the auspices of the
Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) to create a
standardized international vocabulary of terms and definitions for
stereoscopic imaging of all kinds.  Co-chair on the committee is John
Rupkalvis, one of the most accomplished stereographers in the world.  A
representative from the Polaroid Corporation has also agreed to serve as the
other Co-chair on this committee.

John Rupkalvis informed me (2/08/01) that the ISU glossary will be used as a
starting point for this new SMPTE-sponsored glossary of stereoscopic
imaging.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details