[tech-3d] Re: Terms and Definitions

  • From: Andrew Woods <A.Woods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] Re: Terms and Definitions
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:25:42 +0800

Ray Zone wrote:
> As of this writing, a committee has been formed under the auspices of the
> Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) to create a
> standardized international vocabulary of terms and definitions for
> stereoscopic imaging of all kinds.  Co-chair on the committee is John
> Rupkalvis, one of the most accomplished stereographers in the world.  A
> representative from the Polaroid Corporation has also agreed to serve as the
> other Co-chair on this committee.

Oops, something may have been lost in the translation - let me fill in a
few holes and add a few corrections.

The terminology committee was formed at the Standards Forum of the recent
Stereoscopic Displays and Applications (SD&A) conference
<http://www.stereoscopic.org> .  The SD&A conference is in turn organised
under the banner of the SPIE (International Society for Optical
Engineering) and IS&T (Society for Imaging Science & Technology).  At this
stage there are no plans to involve the SMPTE on the stereoscopic
terminology initiative.

The SMPTE is however being involved in another standards setting initiative
under the auspices of the SD&A conference and that is the "proposed
standard for field-sequential 3D Video".  See
http://www.stereoscopic.org/standard

BTW: the terminology committee is being headed by John Rupkalvis
(Stereoscope International) and Vivian Walworth (Rowland Institute for
Science, and formerly with Polaroid).

Cheers,
Andrew Woods,
Co-Chair Stereoscopic Displays and Applications conference.

|  Andrew Woods   | Centre for Marine Science and Technology,      |
|                 | Curtin University of Technology,               |
|       _--_|\    | GPO Box U1987, Perth W.A. 6845, AUSTRALIA.     |
|      /      \   | Email: A.Woods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx              |
|   -->\_.--._/   |     or Andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            |
| Perth      v    | WWW: http://info.curtin.edu.au/~iwoodsa        |
|                 | Phone: +61 8 9266 7920    Fax: +61 8 9266 2377 |

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details