[tech-3d] John B. viewer optics sketch

  • From: Paul Talbot <list_post@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [tech-3d] John B. viewer optics sketch
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:12:12 -0600

I wrote to John Bercovitz to inquire about the viewer
lens spacing drawing that Alan mentioned on photo-3d.

Alan Lewis to P3d:
> >> I think John Bercovitz made up a nice diagram showing why a
> >> viewer does not need adj. lens spacing.

Paul Talbot to John B:
> > Do you recall such a thing, and have a copy somewhere?

John B to Paul Talbot:
> Yes, I recall it.  I bet something like it is in some of the usual
> references, say Ferwerda.  Let me see if I can find it.  Only takes
> a couple of minutes to draw it if I can't find it.  Can't find
> Ferwerda.  Shows how long since I thought about stereo.  Oh, there
> he is; right next to the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, how
> logical.  OK, see page 44, Fig 5.3 E&F. [...]
>
> Just ran across this, which is germane:
>
> Anthropometry of flying personnel
> WADC TR-52-321  ASTIA No. AD 47953
> IPDs
>  5 th percentile    58 1/2 mm
> 95 %the percentile  68 1/2 mm
>
> Can't find my diagram, so I'll draw it again.
> OK, redraw is attached.  I expanded it some.
>
> Best,
> John

I've uploaded the file to:
http://www.rmm3d.com/3d.encyclopedia/mounting/ViewerLensSpacing.pdf

The drawings are similar to those in Ferwerda's book, with some
added commentary.

Paul Talbot

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/tvDVlB/TM