Trial exposures for Photographing Christmas lights

  • From: Rolland Elliott <rolland_elliott@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Trial exposures for Photographing Christmas lights
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:42:53 -0800 (PST)

Happy Holidays to all!

I'd be interrested in obtaining some trial exposure information on
photographing Christmas landscapes that are lighted by hundreds of
those tiny Christmas lights.  Of course I would be using B&W IR film!
So how about it? Has anyone done this?

Specifically I'd be using a tripod mounted camera to take pictures at
night of houses that are decorated with lights or other objects such
as pine trees with lights, statues with christmas lights, etc. These
lights are tungsten and have a very warm color balance.  I think I'll
probably use a #12 yellow filter, as a minimum precaution. A red
filter would be over kill.

I'm afraid that the only detail I'll get will be of the Christmas
lights, surrounded by total blackness.  I also want to capture some
details of the landscape!  This will more than likely result in blown
out highlights, but I think I'll like that effect.

In your exposure recommendations please also state what exposure index
you are using (ISO/ASA) and what developer and times you used.  Also
the filter used and your metering method (Through the filter, spot
metering, etc,) Taking great IR pictures has so many variables, (part
of the fun in using this film).

Peace Rolland