Re: I believe it is OK to have fun too.

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: I believe it is OK to have fun too.
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:56:54 -0800

At 09:41 AM 11/25/1998 -0600, you wrote:
.
>Artiest/photographers have such a difficult time mastering line, shape,
>value, and texture that they choose to not deal with the problem of color.
>Not because color is bad but because it is so damn difficult. Also, the
>truth is that many of the worlds fine Black and White works were done in
>black and white because the artiest/photographer could not afford to buy
>color media.
>
>Go to the library and pick up any art history book. See what the world
>considers the truly great works of art. How many of them are done in black
>and white? NONE! Zero! Zip!

Bob,
For someone who has two MA's in art you sure come up with some duseys.  You
are saying in effect, that Durer, Goya, Rembrnadt, Daumier, to name only a
few "Old Masters" sat at the back of the room and got only the black
crayons. Where in the world did you learn that the medium had anything
whatsoever to do with art?
The fact that color is complex and requires great control argues in favor of
monochrome. I think one gives up far too much control for it to be used as
effectively in photography as in other media. That is all I have been saying.

btw, There are probably more color theory books than any other single
subject in art. Most of them are pure hokum, based on cultural bias and
ignorance of how the mind works.
AZ

Lookaround Cameras are more fun.

See cameras and pictures at: