Horizon 202 horizontal banding

  • From: Alan & Shari Kafton <shmooze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Horizon 202 horizontal banding
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:49:32 -0800

Willem-Jan Markerink wrote:

I have yet to come acrross 202 banding caused by rotational- or
speed-irregularities (vertical that is, never seen any image
'defects' oriented horizontally).

I have come across horizonatally-oriented defects...

On my Horizon 202 with the new faster 1/500 of a second speed, there
were horizontal "streaks" of slightly greater or lesser exposure across
the entire image.  It could clearly be seen in the blue sky, and it
occured at 1/500, and to a much lesser degree at 1/250 of a sec.  It
could not be seen at 1/125 or /60 sec.

I was using slide film which is very exposure sensitive.  Also, it could
not be seen on anything other than bright blue shy.

How did this happen?  The machining of the slit was so poor, with a loop
you could see variations on the fixed side of the slit!!  On the Horizon
202 the slit is 6mm for 1/60, 3mm for 1/125, 1.5mm for 1/250 and 0.75mm
for 1/500 exposures.  It does not take much variation on one of the
surfaces to make an impact on a 0.75mm slit!

Suggestion for anyone testing a new panoramic camera -- take a picture
of a deep blue sky and look for horizonal defects.

--Alan Kafton