Re: Horizon 202

  • From: Alan & Shari Kafton <shmooze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Horizon 202
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:16:57 -0800

WillMall@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Everyone-
> I am new to the Panorama list, and have to say, that I am finding the posts
> fascinating and informative.  I have recently bought a Horizon 202 and am
> really enjoying using it.  I am currently trying to think of the best ways to
> use the camera concerning subjects and perspectives.  It is a whole new world
> of photography to me.  After reading the post concerning banding with the
> Horizon,  I have a question:  My cameras fastest shutter speed is 1/250  -
> This is the second mention I have seen here of Horizon 202's with a fastest
> shutter speed of 1/500.  Is this camera a Horizon 202 also?  What is the range
> of shutter speeds for this higher speed camera (does it add 1/15 to the slower
> shutter range?
>
> Also, is there an accesible archive of this list so that I may waste, uh...,
> invest a few hundred hours searching for past information and ideas?
>
> Have there been many posts about digital "stiching" in Photoshop (or other) to
> create panoramas?
>
> Thanks for any response which you may offer.
> Frank WIlliams
>
> In a message dated 99-01-11 15:23:24 EST, Jim DUNN wrote:
>
> << I have come across horizonatally-oriented defects...
>
>  On my Horizon 202 with the new faster 1/500 of a second speed, there
>  were horizontal "streaks" of slightly greater or lesser exposure across
>  the entire image.  It could clearly be seen in the blue sky, and it
>  occured at 1/500, and to a much lesser degree at 1/250 of a sec.  It
>  could not be seen at 1/125 or /60 sec.
>   >>

There are VERY FEW Horizon 202's out there with 1/500 shutter speed.
Yes, using the slow gear train you get 1/15 sec speed, but the Russians,
in their infinite wisdom did not mark that position!!!  But it works!!!

Frankly, if all Horizons have the machining quality I saw on the slit,
1/500 would be useless in my opinion.  By the way, the same camera
shooting at 1/125 took really wonderful pictures, even of a constant
deep blue sky!

--Alan Kafton