Re: Handholding roundshots?

  • From: Alan & Shari Kafton <shmooze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Handholding roundshots?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:01:18 -0800

jamiehy wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has experience handholding the little roundshot
> 35/35 cameras. Is it a bad idea, or can one just be careful? how bout a
> monopod?

Yes it can be done...but you must be careful.....

If all you want to do is shoot 180 degrees, hold the camera by the base
near your chest and tuck your elbows tight into your body.  It's easier
to use the push button rather than the controller in this configuration.
Because of the start-up torque, it takes about a 45 degree rotation for
you to recover from the startup, so take that into account.

Over your head for a 360 is more difficult, but I've taken a few great
shots that way.  I have a bubble level that I screw into the tripod hole
on the botton, so when holding the camera above my head, I can level it
before shooting.  Again the startup torque is a problem, & it can take
180 degrees for you to "stablize."  Then you have to hold this rotating
thing above your head, looking up, and all without wavering for a couple
of seconds...not a natural thing to do.

Practice quite a bit without film to get the feel...and good luck!

--Alan