Re: Montages

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Montages
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:43:54 -0400

At 01:44 PM 7/16/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>I've taken many freeform panoramic montages over the
>years, usually with 180 degrees fields of view, 24-40
>frames, (not just single pan strips but shooting up
>and down).
>Assembling them and mounting the prints produces very
>large works that don't last very long.
>I am looking into getting them into electronic format
>as I do still have all of the color print negatives
>intact. I'm planning to use PanaVue's Visual Stitcher
>but does anyone know what hardware/software is
>necessary to scan my negatives and get decent .jpg
>files to work with?
>
>Thanks!
>
>-Larry

Larry,

I have been scanning my color panoramic negs with a Umax Powerlook III and
they are plenty good for most things. The flat bed is good for up to 2000
dpi. There is no other way to do my long negs except for very costly drum
scans. Stitching, etc, works fine in PhotoShop. Make high-quality .psd or
.tif files and then .jpg copies. You don't want to loose the original scan
data.

AZ
See new panoramic color work for July.
http://www.keva.com/lookaround