First Trip w/Horizon 202 - Reliable Slit Scan Panoramic Camera

  • From: Art Chakalis <achakali@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: First Trip w/Horizon 202 - Reliable Slit Scan Panoramic Camera
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 11:40:47 -0400

I just returned from a trip to Greece . . . had high hopes of getting
some of the antiquities captured as panoramic images.  When the Horizon
202 functioned properly, the format is capable of capturing a sense of
place that my conventional cameras cannot. I'm hooked and will continue
with a slit scan design

As to reliability . . . very disappointing . . . however, the shots that
came out were worth the effort to lug the tripod and camera.  All of the
issues that have been posted about the 202 came into play to varying
degrees on at least some shots taken at about eight different locations
(but a  test roll shot before leaving had been flawless).  I have pulled
the camera apart, cleaned its guts very carefully and it appears to be
fully functionally.  I emphasize the appears . . . I just won't/can't
trust it to be as reliable as I need it to be.

In reading posts about Widelux and Noblex . . . they also seem to have
their tales of woe.  Is there someone out there who has extensively used
all three makes while traveling?  I would be very interested in getting
feedback from heavy users.

Sincerely, Art