Re: First Trip w/Horizon 202 - Reliable Slit Scan Panoramic Camera

  • From: Alan & Shari Kafton <shmooze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: First Trip w/Horizon 202 - Reliable Slit Scan Panoramic Camera
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 20:55:01 -0700

Art Chakalis wrote:

> I just returned from a trip to Greece . . . had high hopes of getting
> some of the antiquities captured as panoramic images.  When the Horizon
> 202 functioned properly, the format is capable of capturing a sense of
> place that my conventional cameras cannot. I'm hooked and will continue
> with a slit scan design
>
> As to reliability . . . very disappointing . . . however, the shots that
> came out were worth the effort to lug the tripod and camera.  All of the
> issues that have been posted about the 202 came into play to varying
> degrees on at least some shots taken at about eight different locations
> (but a  test roll shot before leaving had been flawless).  I have pulled
> the camera apart, cleaned its guts very carefully and it appears to be
> fully functionally.  I emphasize the appears . . . I just won't/can't
> trust it to be as reliable as I need it to be.
>
> In reading posts about Widelux and Noblex . . . they also seem to have
> their tales of woe.  Is there someone out there who has extensively used
> all three makes while traveling?  I would be very interested in getting
> feedback from heavy users.
>
> Sincerely, Art

I went through 6 of the Horizons before giving up...the quality control
is just awful.  I do know some folks that have had better luck than I.
Anyone purchasing a Horizon MUST buy from a reputable dealer who will
make good on any defective units.  I could go down my problem list but
I'm packing to go to the IAPP convention -- we are leaving tomorrow!

Cheers,

--Alan