Re: Poor old Simon

Charles of SC, apparently no relation to Frederick of Hollywood, wrote:

> Amanda:  If you are not old enough to remember when Simon was in his prime,
please don't cut him down.

This is called the "age before grace" defense. Does age exempt him from
manners? No. I've seen his work from his "prime," and am not much impressed.

> He DID what he says he did.

No one ever questioned that. This is called the "straw man" defense.

> Or are you just upset because a MAN did it?

A new and off-topic subject. This is called the "limbaugh/ditch" defense.

If the list were named "Simon Says," maybe I wouldn't be so bored and
annoyed by the pompous ramblings of an aging crankapotamus. But it's called
"panorama-l," which leads people to think it's about wide-view photography.

It seems Charles has decided to go along with whatever Simon says, whether
or not it's relevant. Maybe he watches his videotape library of "Lowell
Thomas Remembers" while he drink his warm milk at 7:00 in the evening.

Mitch Warner has offered the best and most clear-headed explanation of what
makes Simon tick. I appreciated that. But while stubbornness can be
tolerated and ignorance can be cured, deliberate stupidity is beyond hope.

So you can drop the age and infirmity excuses, folks. Hans Bethe is still
teaching with patience and love at age 93. There's no reason someone who
views himself as grandly as Simon does couldn't do likewise.

Among other things, Mitch Warner wrote:

> There are solutions to Simon irritation.  The most immediate is usually
located at the botton left or right of a keyboard:  'Del'

That's what others have said they do, or send simon/wide-of-the-mark
messages straight to the trash. But there's no way around someone whose
presence generates more discussion than the reason for the list to exist.

Rehotshots wrote, among other interesting things:

> sometimes it is difficult to synthesize a new idea; especially if we are
attached to our old ones.  All you can do is throw it out there and hope
that it will be of use to someone.  If you see you idea as a ball, notice
that there are no strings connecting you to the ball.  If the ball is missed
or if the ball is caught or if the ball is hit is no reflection on you, but
simply a reflection of those to whom you pitch it.  We must be detached from
our ideas.  The attachment causes the conflict, the pain, the hurt feelings,
the shock, etc.  To pitch a ball at all we must let go of it.  Does that
help?

Clayton wrote, just before unsubscribing for the second and last time:

> Nice illustration. Trouble is, Simon can't tell the difference between his
ideas and his balls, and is thus reluctant to part with them.

What more could I add to that?

Well, enough stewing in someone else's juice. It's time for me to go
unsubscribe and be happier. Besides, my L.L. Bean catalog just arrived.

-- Amanda Chase
amandachase@xxxxxxxxxxx