Re: VÁ: banding from uneven rotation?

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: VÁ: banding from uneven rotation?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:33:27 -0500

At 09:56 PM 1/10/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>What you say can be modelled by the 35mm lens rotating panorama. (there is
>no drum)
>Here is a picture made with that camera into the sun (not mine, I wish it
>was):
>http://perso.wanadoo.fr/panorama/gallerie_web/gal_goll.html
>Notice that the sudden flare is there, twice, around the sun. I think that
>the edge of the slit has something to do with it (hence the assimetry), not
>necessary the drum edge. Maybe we should paint the slits?
>
>Cheers,
>Norbert
>
>> ----------
>> Feladó: 	Willem-Jan Markerink[SMTP:w.j.markerink@xxxxx]
>> Küldés ideje: 	2000.január.8. 17:01
>> Címzett: 	panorama-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Tárgy: 	Re: banding from uneven rotation?
>>
>> On 23 Dec 99 at 13:42, Julian Clothier wrote:
>	[]
>> >
>> > Be aware also just where is the sun when you use the camera. They do not
>> > handle back lighting of the subject at all well. Good luck, have a great
>> > festive season if it applies, and catch up with you all next century eh?
>>
>> Ever considered cutting away the front of the drum, ie doing away
>> with the front 'slit'? Thereby giving the lens a full view during its
>> entire rotation, and avoiding the sudden light/dark flare effects
>> that will otherwise occur when the sun suddenly strikes the lens....
>>
>> Note that all swing-lens cameras suffer from this, whether Horizont,
>> Horizon 202 or Noblex 150.
>> But IMNSHO it is more inherent to the front slit than to the
>> nature/operation of the camera.
>	[]
>> Bye,
>>
>> Willem-Jan Markerink

WJM,

Nice example - at last someone brave enough to shoot into the sun!  I think
if one is going to do pans they had better learn to use creative flare
effectively. I disagree that pano cameras work poorly in glare.  It has to
do with the lens shade entirely.

AZ
Check out new b/w pans for January.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/

Lookaround Panoramic Cameras and Gallery:
http://www.keva.com/lookaround