Re: Fuji G617 focusing screens, ND filter usage, etc., questions

  • From: Randy Vaughn-Dotta <randyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Fuji G617 focusing screens, ND filter usage, etc., questions
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:42:22 -0800

Roman,

I have been using the same model Fuji you now
have for 8 years and here is a list of the my
favorite  accessories I use:
1- ground glass & dark cloth
     (the thick1/8" one from local glass shop)
      for composition only.  I usually just hold it
      in place by hand although I have seen table
      cloth spring clamps covered with baloons in
      used to great advantage. I was told they can be
      gotten in the housewares section of larger stores.
2- metric hand-held range-finder.
      Since the scale of the Fuji lens is metric I got
      a metric range finder from the local surveying
      store.
3- I made a sign to put in the film reminder slot
      on the back of the camera .  It reads "Focus Stupid"
      because it is easy to forget to focus when the
      camera range finder always shows a sharp image.
4- A small hand-held mirror to hold over and near
     the lens to see the aperature and shutter speeds.
     Often my lens is at eye level or higher and it is
     difficult to see the lens to set it.
5- An illumninated stop watch for night time long
     exposures exposures. I don't wear a watch!
6- A locking cable release.
     I use a locking cable release for the lens shutter
     release to hold the lens open during ground glass
     composing.
7- Center filter
     I always use mine.  Tried it the other way on my
     camera and found the lighter center or darker outer
    (however you want to characterize it) objectionable.

If you have other questions write.

Randy Vaughn-Dotta