Fuji G617 focusing screens, ND filter usage, etc., questions

  • From: Roman Gill <rgill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fuji G617 focusing screens, ND filter usage, etc., questions
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:32:43 -0800

I recently acquired an excellent condition Fuji G617 camera and am also a new member of this list server. Being new to panaromic photography and this cameras, I'm hoping some more experienced users of this camera can answer the following questions for me:

Apparently, it's tricky framing photos with the G617 (due to the rangefinder design, I suppose). While the newer GX model offers an optional focusing screen, I've heard some people use a focusing screen/ground glass to frame images more precisely with G model. Have you found this to be an issue? If so, have you come up with a workable solution on framing the picture more accurately?

>From your experience, should one use the centre ND filter all the time with this camera or only under specific lighting conditions? If the latter, what would those be?

Does digital image manipulation in Photoshop negate the need for the centre ND filter?

Are there any other tips you can share with me to make my experience with this camera more enjoyable?

FYI, I'll be using the camera mostly for landscapes. The camera will sit on bogen tripod and an Arca Swiss B1 ballhead.

Thanks,
Roman