re slit size v. sharpness

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: re slit size v. sharpness
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:13:24 -0400

Colleagues,

Regarding slit width and sharpness I made a demo image from one of the new
street pans on my web page - just happened to be doing an interesting
negative when the subject came up.

 Go to http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/ph_broadst1.html and check
"More notes..."  at the bottom of the page.

I am sometimes delighted to notice that I can read small details such as
lettering in very small portions of pan negatives. The most amazing to me is
to be able to read the time on wrist watches.

The demo picture is cropped from a full pan to about the size of a 35mm
frame. It was made with the Lookaround rotating pan camera with a .02 slit
close to the film plane.

 The subject was passing within 2-3 ft. of the camera at a brisk walk. The
film is non-perforated 35mm TX. I have to move the slit to about 6mm from
the film and increase its size to use perforated film because of the
vibrations caused by the film's perforations across the cassette felts. This
results in less sharpness.

AZ

New interchronic b/w street pans - 9/4/00
Lookaround Panoramic Camera and Gallery:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/

Bob Talbot's Vagabond Camera web page
 http://www.st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk/vagabond/

Where's the camera? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/passcam.html