more on focus distance

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: more on focus distance
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:11:24 -0400

Colleagues,

The subject of image sharpness over the depth of field and focal-length of
rotating cameras was discussed recently. I put up new pictures on my web
pages that look at that issue. Check this one out first:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/steeltruck.html

It is not included with the new images section.

There are two more on the November new images page:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/stsuiteiii.html

Select "Notes" to view details in the image.

It seems to me that, while not as sharp as a regular 35mm camera, overall
depth of field is about the same.  Being able to change the ratio of focal
length and film length may be useful for some critical work (interiors?) but
doesn't have much practical advantage for most pictures. For street work I
use a ratio that has a fudge factor favoring foreground - FFFF :-)

AZ

New for November: "High and Low" b/w street pans.
Lookaround Panoramic Camera and Gallery:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/
keyword.com: lookaround

Where's the camera? http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8874/passcam.html