Re: How do you make a panorama Photo?

  • From: WILLIAM D SCHWADERER <WDAVID@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: How do you make a panorama Photo?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:40:33 -0800

This will never happen.  Stitching enables you to capture multiple sensors
worth of information for an image.  I typically get 9.2 worth for a 360 at
35mm equivalent focal length and shoot 18 images to capture all input.  Full
hemispherical gives you about 1.2 for 360x180 - a much greater vertical
field of view image spread over fewer sensor samples.  Alternately, you use
a reflective technology which degrades the incoming light.  In addition, the
captured image occupies a donut shape on one sensor.

Stitching may be no fun, but it usually delivers nearly flawless images.
See:

http://www.spinpic.com/pano_index.htm
http://www.spinpic.com/pano_hawaii.htm

The "large, final" images you see when you make a selection are thumbnails
of the real ones.  I am regularly cranking out riveting 180 degree 80 MB
TIFF images when I use zoom and adjust the SpinScape-I angular increment
accordingly...  It is effortless...

Single shot approaches do not stand a chance...never have and never
will...the math is against them...