Re: How do you make a panorama Photo?

  • From: Jeff Foster <jncfoster@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: How do you make a panorama Photo?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:24:18 -0800

I've been lurking on this list for quite some time now, so please pardon me
if I'm "butting-in" here...

I'm currently wresting with this concept myself, after investigating several
"1-shot" reflective solutions vs. stitching 35mm shots with a 14mm lens.
I've even tried a Seitz Roundshot 35/35 - which I recently sold on eBay.

My observations so far are (not conclusions):

- Quality input data for high-res VRs can only come from multiple-shot panos
that gets stitched (provided you are using a proper pano-rig with your
camera) - even if you're shooting digital.

- Large format Roundshots and century-old swing-lens solutions take
beautiful panos with rich quality, but cost an "arm and a leg".  Quite
possibly overkill if you're simply creating QTVRs.  There is no doubt that
the best quality results come from these monsters, but cost and
development/scanning time may be prohibitive for most.

- Reflective one-shot solutions are great for live video (ie. BeHere) or
quick digital "donuts" for web-deliverd VRs, but I haven't seen any quality
shots taken with one yet... at least that I'd want to blow-up and print
from.  Oh... and then there's the "arm and a leg" factor again (+ possible
first-born)

- For QTVRs new "cubic" format, requiring only 6 shots, perhaps this is a
step in the right direction for quicker stitched VRs that give full 360x360
views...?  Set up is still a hassle but the price is right!

Again... these are only my observations thus far - too soon to make any
conclusions - nor is the industry slowing down in development of these
media-rich technologies.  Heck, I'm still struggling with "film vs. digital"
- and when do I use which one!

I'm also currently experimenting with "hyper-stereo" setups and
investigating the 360 stereo space... very exciting and visually
captivating!

Thanks to all for a lively discussion and your valuable input!

Jeff

J E F F   F O S T E R
D i g i t a l   I m a g i c i a n  &  P h o t o g r a p h e r
http://www.pixelpainter.com

A u t h o r: "Photoshop Web Magic" series (New Riders Pub.)
http://www.photoshopwebmagic.com