Re: The times sure have changed, fast!

  • From: scantech <scantech.pano@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: The times sure have changed, fast!
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:18:57 +0100

> According to the current internet poll, currently 40%
> of the panoramic photographers are now shooting with a
> digital camera and stitching the images. I predict
> that by years end it will be over half. One big reason
> is that with digital photography there is no film,
> processing, or scanning to mess with. The only
> materials cost is 20 cents for a blank CD-R to deliver
> the images to the customer, assuming that the
> photographer uses rechargable batteries in the camera.
> Of course you can always email the image to them. :-)

Half of my customers have tried stitching pictures before buying a Voyageur.
Advantages of one shot cameras are:
- quality of picture
- rapidity of shooting
- use of fast exposure times to shot moving objets or peoples.

Usually, stitching pictures are good enagh for the web (but that's all ).
But even for the web, if you want a perfect job, you will spend certainly much more time than when scanning a negative because lots of defaults must be finished in photoshop to be clean.
(it will never be possible to get the same quality with stictched pictures than with one shot pictures because there is not all the needed informations in rectilinear pictures to build a cylindrical perspective)
The only and great advantage of stitched pictures is that they are totaly free.

For a very fast job, I believe that using a one shot lense for digital cameras (as PAL360 from TB Kunz) is better than stitching pictures .

G.L.L