Continuous digital panoramas (was Duel)

  • From: pshute@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Continuous digital panoramas (was Duel)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:48:48 +1100

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 18:57:55 +0100, Michel Dusariez
<dusariez@skynet.be> wrote:

>I am amused that my e-mail have unlatch so many reactions, some kind, some
>not so kind !
>
>I have not in mind with my e-mail to start fight, duel and competition,
>just to suggest that we have to find differents names for differents
>things, I name my pictures PANOPTIC, or PANORAMIC PANOPTIC it was clear and
>don't brings customer to confusion.

It's interesting to note that in this debate the emphasis has been on
the fact that digital panoramas are made by stitching, but not much
discussion of image quality.  Film seems to be still ahead from what
I've heard, but apparently no so far as to influence this debate much
any more.

I've fallen into using digital cameras, mainly because of printing
difficulties with film.  Rather than hearing whether continous film
shooting is better than digital stitching, I'd like to hear of
anybody's attempts to do continuous digital shooting.

I read some postings here a long time ago about someone's experiments
with hand scanners being converted into scanning panoramic cameras. At
the time the problem was that the speed of transmission to the
computer was too slow.  Has anyone tried anything like this with more
recent equipment?

Peter Shute