File Naming Schema

Hello Panoramic Folks:

In collecting digital images for a panorama (or for anything, for that
matter), my (digital Fuji S1 Pro) camera always names the files starting
with the same name.  Of course when the files are transferred to a computer
they have to be renamed to prevent name collisions with what is already on
the computer.

Does anyone know of software for PCs that will rename a group of files
according to a given 'schema'?  I have seen such software work inside high
speed scanner driver software. . . files were named according to whatever
scheme you gave it -- it would index up the numbers by itself, etc.  Sure
would be nice to have something like that for digital images.

Thanks!

Bill Kennedy