RE: Where are you? - Panoramania issue

  • From: Alan Zinn <azinn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Where are you? - Panoramania issue
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:08:16 -0700

At 03:03 PM 4/25/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Jim,
>
>Strange Happenings. I just received word from Amazon.com that an
out-of-print book I wanted to purchase has been located (my request was made
in September of 1999). As it turns out, it is the book you mention below
"Panoramania" ! Therefore, don't put yourself through the trouble of sending
anything to me, but thanks for the offer. I found out about Mr. Barker
through a Dutch publication called "The Panorama Phenomenon". This
publication was produced in 1981 through the Mesdag Panorama (museum) in The
Hague.

>Regards,
>Richard

>Hello Richard
>
>My info comes from a book I have on all types of Panoramas (painting,
>photography etc)I can certainly send you a copy of the relevant text
relating to
>Mr Barker, remembering that the copyright is with the Barbican Art centre in
>London, the book is at home so it will be later this evening or tomorrow before
>I can get it to you. If memory serves the book is called "Panoramania" and was
>published in conjunction with an exhibition at the Barbican in the mid to late
>1980's.
>
>Jim Dunn

I have "The Panorama - History of a Mass Medium" by Oettermann (MIT Press)
which gives Barker's story. It shouldn't be out of print.  Also a must-read
is "The Shows of London" by Altick, sure to be out of print, which covers
similar material.

The significance of Barker's invention is crucial to understanding panoramas
in general. We are so used to the format we forget that it took a real
visionary to work it out. It's kind of neat the way he figured out (before
photography) how to bend the picture plane around in a circle. Think of
never having done it - where would you start?

AZ
Maker of Lookaround panoramic camera.

New photos for April: quad lens toy camera.
www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/8874/
         or
keyword.com lookaround