Re: expo1 by Elliott

Sorry, but I have to reply to this because, IMO, many of the ideas that
Elliott expresses hurt the cause of stereo today.

1. "If expo2 is cut and run UPS in a shoebox, no problem as far as
I'm concerned. I'll just fire up my Repronar and make copies, so no
original material will be at risk."

Here Elliott is propagating the idea that there is a risk sharing some
of our best work via regular mail.  Sure, there is also a risk that
Elliott's house will catch on fire and his 3-d masterpieces will be
destroyed but that does not have him worried to keep the originals in a
safe in the bank.  Just look at the PSA, SSA folios and international
stereo competitions.  Most participants trust their best work in the
hands of "first class" US Postal Service.  And if Elliott ever sends
slides in these competitions, no matter how he sends his entries he is
going to get them back "first class" in an envelope.  Obviously, this
has not been a problem and does not worry seasoned participants in
these events.

2. "I think I like the idea of a judged expo, because it's a way to
see how one stacks up outside of the inbred club environment. If I
have to look at another stereo slide of a bush in the foreground, a
something-or-other 15 feet behind it, scenery in the background, and
the Golden Mean in evidence I'm gonna throw up! Screw the
compositional conventions of stereoscopy. "

Here Elliott is propagating the false idea that conventional stereo
work via clubs, etc., is crap.  Nothing can be further from truth.
There is a tremendous variety of work being done in the world and
displayed in these clubs.  Joining a club is a learing experience.  You
learn how to improve and you learn how to judge your work.  If Elliott
finds this kind of work boring, perhaps he should try and change it
within the club by entering and standing by his exceptional/
unconventional work or by judging the work of others using his own
artistic criteria.  If more people think like he does, then he will be
changing conventional thinking.  Either that, or he will change his
thinking.

3.  "The photo-3d listserv crosses a lot of territory, which is a
strong reason to keep a listserv powered expo away from PSA, NSA, ISU
or CIA structuring. (And I say this as a member of ISU and NSA.) the only
thing you have to join is the expo, not the organization. For expo1 you
didn't even have to be on the listserv!"

The key word here is "structuring".  PSA and SSA are organizations that
have done the same type of work for many years.  I think we can learn
from their experience and structuring.  Participating in expo1 was for
me as expensive as one year's worth of subscription to NSA and SSA.

Overall, as a participant in expo1 and as one of the so called
"winners" I must say I was dissappointed by the number and quality of
entries.  I did not send my best work and neither did anyone else, I
suspect.  We all sent "representative" work, I think.  The turn-around
time of one year was a bit too long too.  Sure, it was unusual and
refreshing to see this variety of work but, for serious stereo work,
I believe that the conventional channels is the way to go.

"This is my story and I stand by it" -- George Themelis