S3D Re: paypal?

Linda is quite correct about liability limitations.  Although the credit
card companies often try to sell additional protection, they are bound by
federal law to limit your liability to $50 (in most fraud cases).  No such
protection exists for electronic transfers from your bank account.
Unfortunately, this also applies to some debit cards.  You should never
accept or use a debit card unless you are certain that it has the same
kind of liability protection as a credit card.

On the issue of how PayPal hopes to make money, the 3% fee often quoted
for merchant expense is not universally true by any means.  Based on
volume and "quality" of transactions (how many returns and other expenses
are experienced), merchant fees can range anywhere from zero on up.  Its
hard to say what percentage PayPal is paying, but I'd bet its pretty low.

Greg M.