S3D PayPal.com from Buyer's FOR

  • From: ThreeDeKen@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: S3D PayPal.com from Buyer's FOR
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 14:42:33 -0700

Re various references to PayPal.com in Digest 1047 (too numerous to mention)

I have been a buyer signed up with PP for almost a month, now.  I had only
two problems, and each of those was with sellers who were not signed on with
PP before (if ever) the transactions to which they agreed to participate.

Item:  PP.com and x.com (see AuctionWatch.com) are in the process of a merger.

Item:  All sellers (this is an inserted viewpoint re the relativity of this
kind of information in this particular medium) should be as buyer-friendly as
they can within reasonable parameters.  Heretofore, eBay has been a seller's
paradise (except for the exceptions ;-), such as bad checks, etc.) in that
most transactions are covered by Cash?, MO, and, quite often, Personal
checks:  No Credit Cards!   I look at some of these high-ticket items and
wonder where on earth these buyers get that kind of loose money.  These are
items, as I told DrT, that I can't bid on because I don't have that kind of
loose change.  Sellers, then, should be aware of their restrictive payment
policy, especially when something comes along like PP.com's  free payment
service.

Item:  PP.com's payment service is free to both sellers and buyers.  x.com's
services are not free.  So what happens after the merger is anyone's guess.

Item:  Logging in to PP.com's website can be frustrating at times (I go in
after midnight, PST, for that reason) because of page-loading delays, etc.  I
wrote (email) to their Customer Service and complained about that because it
was "spooking" potential sign ups by sellers with whom I was transacting.  PP
sent me a nice explanation:  They are adding servers and hiring more
personnel as quickly as possible to correct the situation (growing pains).
(Note: PP did not pay me to write this.)

Item:  eBay is working on a payment service similar to PP's that will be free
for a while (see their Announcements section; somewhere about March 3).  As I
understand it, that service is in beta testing with a select number of
sellers.

Item:  George, it would seem to me that your mother might be living with you
and your wife if one circumnavigated the globe and the plane went fast
enough! ;-)

Ken Villwock (incredulousken)