Re: [sell-3d] check this out!

  • From: Michael Kersenbrock <michaelk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [sell-3d] check this out!
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 17:18:43 -0700

Gabriel Jacob wrote:

> Mike K. writes:
>
> >Personally, I don't bid against the competition, to me the competition
> >is irrelevant.  I bid the highest I'm willing to pay and if it wins I get
> >it and if it loses I don't.
>
> Yeah but if your maximum bid is already lower than the competitions,
> they just forced you not to bid! Doesn't sound like the competition
> is irrelevant. :-)

It's relevant only in terms of whether I win or not.  I actually use software
to do the bidding at the last moment for convenience sake so it matters
not none to me as to sequencing.  If  my bid is highest, then I win,
if others outbid me (at any time) I lose.  Simple as that.

> >I usually bid at the last second to enforce my self-restraint.
>
> Ahaa, so you've come around and finally changed your strategy,
> to my way of thinking! Awhile ago, you thought otherwise! You
> had said it doesn't matter when you place your maximum bid.

You have me confused with someone else, I've always been an
avocate of last second bidding (as a buyer).  I'd only be in favor
of early and often bidding if I were a seller (which I'm usually
not).  What I've said is that ***IF*** everyone bid the
way I do, then it'd not be relevant as to when the bids were
made.  But in reality people don't and bidding at the last
moment takes advantage of those people (in terms of the
buyer).

Last minute bidding is only effective at lowering end price
because others don't do it "my way" -- they bid less than their
maximum amount somehow convinced that helps get something
for way below it's true value and/or they bid early and get caught
in auction-fever where they'll pay more than they really were
willing to and probably regret it a bit later.

Mind you, I like it when I have lots of headroom between my
winning bid price and the max-number I had "bid" with ebay,
that means I got it for quite a bit less than I thought it worth
to me.  But then I've also won where my bid won by a whisker.
In both cases I'm happy.  Actually when I lose I'm happy too.
When I lose it's because the winning price was higher than
I was willing to pay.  Had I paid higher than that to win, I'd be
grumbling about how I had to pay more than it's worth to get it.

Only way to be happy is to bid the max one thinks it is worth,
and because of the way OTHERS bid, it's advantageous to do
it at the last minute.

Mike K.