[sell-3d] Another fine point of Dutch auctions

  • From: "Dr. George A. Themelis" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [sell-3d] Another fine point of Dutch auctions
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:12:42 -0500

And here is something else:  If you do not get
all the items that you bid for, you have the
right to refuse all of them.

Here is what happened to me:  For auction were 1000
stereo slides in a Dutch auction for $0.40 each.

Someone placed a bid for 50 slides for $1.00 each.
Someone else bid for all 1000 for $0.45 each.

Then I came in.  I tried to bid for all 1000 slides for
$0.41 but ebay would not let me. I had to bid the next
increment, $0.50.  So I did bid $0.50 for all 1000.

I was a successful bidder and I get 950 slides.  The
rest 50 go to the guy who bid $1.00 but he only has to
pay $0.50 for each, as much as I do.

Right after the end of the auction I had second thoughts.
I really wanted to get out of this auction because with
shipping (from Canada) etc., I was paying too much.
At the time I did not know this, but because I did not
get all 1000 slide I bid for, I could have said that
I do not want any.  This is part of the rules.

But I ended up negotiating with the seller and getting
not 950 but all remaining, some 4,000 stereo slides!!!!

Anyone interested in buying glass-mounted stereo slides
for $1 each? :)

George

PS. There is a background in this story: Before putting
all 1000 slides for sale, the seller put 10 slides first.
I won these, paying about $15 I think.  These appear to
have been taken by an expert stereo photographer.  All
exposures are good, composition is great, they are all
mounted in Realist aluminum mounts with glass and some
of them have special double-masking, etc.  Top quality!
In addition, the person who took these has marked the
aperture and shutter speed in every slide.  Clearly
someone who took stereo photography seriously.  The slides
are from all over the world.  I am looking forward to this
lot!

eLerts