T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 253

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: TECH-3D digest 253
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:10:34 -0500

> Another possibility for 5P is the Edmund 7x Wide Field comparator, an Erfle
> design at $195.  Neither of the Edmund magnifiers quite has what it takes
> for full-frame 35mm, at least on paper (1.5" field for the 6x, 1.25" for
> the 7x; full frame diagonal is 43.3mm = 1.7")

The 6x double achromat does cover both on paper and in practice. Full
frame is about 1.42 inchs unmounted and about 1.3 inches in RBT's wide
full frame mounts. The 7x wide field Erfle comparator does't cover full
frame on paper; I think John B may have personally checked this out at
some point...

The 6x Edmund's loupe incidently has been a favourite with photo editors
and art directors for years, as it is very comfortable to use with
excellent lens performance, is ruggedly constructed and is a good value.
It is however a big heavy sucker and in pairs may not allow for
sufficient IP adjustment for folks with narrow eye spacing...

Eric G.