T3D Re: Don Quixote?

  • From: erker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Greg Erker)
  • Subject: T3D Re: Don Quixote?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:28:37 -0600

>OK, turn on the honest mode.  Is anyone interested in these lenses
>at $200/pair?  I sure don't want to spend time on this project if
>no one is interested in what may be a likely price.  Anything less
>than this amount of money can be bought right now off the shelf
>and do a decent job.  Question is, what's a superb job worth to
>you and how many would loosen their wallets if it were available?

  As you know (but the rest of T3D doesn't)
Eric G got us the specs on the Edmund 6x loupe.
Joel is going to run it through his ORT program
(Optical Ray Tracing) within a couple of days.

  I'd like to see how it tests out since
it's a fairly fancy ocular (dual achromat
with 4 different types of glass and every
radius different). If it's close to your
specs we'll know what 2x$80 can buy you
off the shelf.

  OTOH if it's close maybe people will
just buy them since most people aren't
really rigid on having an ortho FL.
I seriously doubt you can get 50 or
100 people to put money up front for
lenses. Most people aren't hobbiest enough
to want to build their own viewer
(or kludge larger diameter lenses onto
an existing one).

My opinions - Greg