T3D Re: Distortion et all in zooms. (TECH-3D digest 285)

  • From: "Bob Howard" <bobh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Distortion et all in zooms. (TECH-3D digest 285)
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:39:44 +8

RE: Greg W. didn't like my remark about zooms and suggested I check
out an RBT camera. I didn't refer to RBT in that post, but my remark
 of course could disparage their use of zooms. From the loose
standards of marking lenses I would think that RBT would have to do a
job of selccting that would be unenconomical.
 I think more that slight errors in image size of the pair can be
compesated for by the brain and it may not matter! I have
corresponded with Keppler on several occassions and have respect for
the tests in Pop Photo (which is about the only game in town.)
For John B. his Nikkor (or Nikon) Macro lenses might well pass
distortion 1% limit as they are COPY lenses designed for text as
well as close-ups. I think the only RBT camera I would want is the
Hexar combo. BobH
(I have many zooms and find I get excellent photo images from all in
spite of their inbred faults. One reason in newer ones is aspheric
surfaces on some elements. But I think I would be hard pressed to
find two that matched on even the same settings of focal length.)

End of TECH-3D Digest 286