T3D Re: pressurizing underwater housings

  • From: EDuw3D@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: T3D Re: pressurizing underwater housings
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:59:18 EDT

As a builder of underwater cameras and housings , 3D and flatties since 1962,
I have done a lot of work in plexi and aluminum.        My first 1962 camera
attemt was a 35mm Bolsey Jubilee in a home build plexi housing.     I THOUGHT
it would be a good idea to pressurize the housing so I put a tire valve in the
housing and pumped it up with a bicycle pump.       This act actually made the
"O" ring seal even less effective for the first few feet of descent.
Thank goodnes the the camera was in a plexi housing so that I was able to get
the camera out of the water before the "tide" got too high.
Most cameras and housings flood during the first few feet of descent because
of dry "o" rings, a little peice of sand or hair in the "O" ring.
Pressurizing the housing or camera will exasurbate the leaking problem instead
of helping it.

It is NOT a good idea to pressurize an underwater camera housing.    As a UW
camera descends the pressure actually seals the "O" ring seals better.   Build
the camera with heavy enough materials  for the depth to be used.   Control
levers with seals can be purchased from IKELITE underwater products.

FYI 3D underwater photographers.      I'm afraid I will not be able to respond
to individual Emails for at the present time  I am working on my 5 th  3D UW
camera system which I trying to get ready for this October's coral spawn and I
am exceptionaly busy as the 3D audiovisual consultant for the Carribean's
first 3D underwater theater at the Sea Aquarium in Curacao.     Presently I am
finishing the mounting of the slides for their first show and will be in
Curacao this October to install the slides, projectors, screen and sound
system.       Hopefully the theater will be open to the public on regular
basis at the beginning of next year.

Ed Jameson
3D Underwater Productions
P.O. Box 127