T3D Re: Lenticular Prints

  • From: George Gioumousis <georggms@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: Lenticular Prints
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:31:21 -0700 (PDT)

Dylan The Hippy Wabbit wrote

> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone fill me in on how lenticular prints work?  I've got the broad
> picture, but I can't find any good information on the details.
>
> For example, suppose I were to bully my PC printer to interleave images
> for lents.  Do I need a different pitch lenticular plastic for different
> numbers of views, or do I just squeeze more in?  Similary will it work
> the easy way, each line the same width, or is there some trigonometrical
> formula which must be followed or else?
>
> I've tried looking at the IBM patent server, but with little success.  I
> can read several dialects of tech-speak but legalese makes My Eyes Glaze
> Over.  ;-)

I've read some of the Nimslo patents, with some slight understanding.
The history of why I did is someplace in the archives.

The Nimslo prints have lenticules .005 in wide. There are 4 stripes
(.001 in wide) under each lenticule, one from each lens. The emulsion
is on the back side of the material. The prints are made through the
lenticules, one for each negative, on some pretty precise machinery,
then a very white coating is applied to the back side of the emulsion.

Chlorine bleach will take off the emusion and coating, if you want to
experiment.

Someplace in the archives is the name of a company which sells lenticular
material which is coarser than the Nimslo related stuff. I'm sure the Image
Tech people use three stripes. You would have to match your lent material
carefully to whatever dpi your printer runs at.

If you try something out I would love to see some samples. Stay in touch
if you get to experiment, and good luck.

George (aka Dr G)