T3D A Third Simple One

  • From: Bruce Springsteen <bsspringsteen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D A Third Simple One
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 10:48:24 -0700 (PDT)

George T's answer to my projection question (how to get
window-on-screen and standard 60mm infinity together) is perfect -
lucid and conclusive.  Thanks, George.

Let me add one more question to my Dull Double (making a Tiresome
Triple?) ;-)

Reasons for 1.2mm maofd (the "aim" stated in the article) on 35mm
format seem to boil down to two issues:

1.  The difference between window deviation and infinity separation in
the Realist mounting/viewing scheme is arbitrarily 1.2mm.  If you
don't want to come through or violate the window, and don't want
divergent infinity, that's the limit.

2.  It reflects some average limit in the human visual system for
"comfortable" stereo viewing of scenes with large deviations between
near and far subjects (perhaps definable as an angle?)

Number one seems obvious.  But number two confuses me.  Is this limit
of comfort documented?  I can fuse on my index finger 1 ft in front of
my nose, then quickly re-fuse on a cloud behind it, effectively at
infinity.  It is jarring, yes, and I certainly feel the eye muscles
working - but not really that uncomfortable or unfamiliar.  I know
mounting and cropping and image loss are concerns, but that doesn't
really speak to the "discomfort issue", just to practicalities of
mounting and viewing systems.  Does 1.2mm really have anything to do
with comfortable limits of visual adaptability as in Reason 2 above?
I haven't been convinced yet.  And are there reasons for 1.2mm that
don't amount to one of the two stated?  Help!

Bruce (Rhetoric on Fire) Springsteen