T3D ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

  • From: "Andrea Blair" <asblair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:17:41 PDT

Maximum this, optimum that, minimum the other...so much separation here,
not enough separation there...won't work, can't work, shouldn't work,
does work...too close, too far...near point, far point, point to the
stars...

ARGGGGGGHHHH! I give up! UNCLE!

To [H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS] with all this obsession with the perfect
formula (which *obviously* does not exist or we would have resolved
these descrepancies long ago). I don't care anymore. I will continue to
use the AAB (Andrea's About That) method (similar to RM's OONCH method).
Take three or four and match the best two.

Every time something has been presented, holes have been punched in it
to some degree. Nothing is perfect. It doesn't exist. It doesn't matter.
Just do it. Pick one, and go with it. Whatever makes you happy. Whatever
fluffs your pillow. Could we just stop the battle of the egos? We don't
need ruffled feathers and raised hackels.

EVERYONE has presented good, cold, hard facts. And there have been
several attempts to put them into layman's terms. Everyone has done
well. Pat yourselves on the back. Job well done. Unfortunately, it seems
(from what I hear in these discussions) that every one of these fails at
some point. You just have to realize the failing point of whichever
system you choose to use. It's not that that particular solution is
*wrong*, it just has *limitations*.

I am afraid I ignited the spark that this explosion came from some time
ago on P3D. It just migrated to T3D after awhile. I was only looking for
something simple to pass on to new macro stereographers using one SLR.
O.K., now I know. There is no such thing. There have been so called
*easy* formulas put forward using a flashlight, a calculator, a
spreadsheet (requiring a computer of some sort), and probably others
(has anyone mentioned a slide rule yet?).

Can I ask this: Why is it so hard to accept that sometimes there can be
more than one correct solution to the same problem?

Respectfully submitted (but still frustrated)

Andrea Blair
asblair@xxxxxxxxxxx