T3D ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

  • From: "Andrea Blair" <asblair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:21:09 PDT

(Sorry if this appears more than once. There's problems with our
server.)

mathophobia.<<<<

Wrong (again) George! This is the second time you have (incorrectly)
accused me of this. And I might add that it is getting a tad annoying.
Although this may be your opinion, is just ain't so. If I wasn't
interested in math, I wouldn't subscribe to T3D and participate in this
particular discussion. I am looking for some basis for the work I am
doing already. Consider that a person drives their car every day and
enjoys the fact that the car gets them where they want to go. But one
day they develop an interest in why the car works. What is behind the
scenes? Then they pursue engine design and auto mechanics to *enlighten*
them. There are others who will continue to drive their car and never
worry about why it runs; it just does and they're happy. There are
others who spend their whole life under the hood and occassionally go
for a spin. Well, I'm here for macro stereo *enlightenment*. I want to
continue doing what I'm doing, but I want to understand it better.

math disturbed too many people on photo-3d...<<<<

*Disturbed* is a little strong. Since there are a lot of new
stereographers on P3D, hard core math may be more *confusing* than
*disturbing*. It was the forcefulness of "Math is the Only Way" attitude
that rubbed some people the wrong way.

madnesses.<<<<

Sure. But could you do it nicely? {:>)  And strangely enough, wasn't it
peace on the list that I was asking for?

being jealous of her PSA winnings for her macro pictures.<<<<

And I also immediately apologized for that unneccessary comment, or did
you forget that part?

in the Putnam Contest, I haven't felt jealous of anyone except
Field Medal winners, and some Nobel Prize winners.<<<<

Congratulations on your recent wins! If you are considering
participating in the macro folio, I look forward to seeing your images,
especially since we shoot similar subjects (George also shoots flower
macros).

I don't want to start some sort of holy war here, but it appears (IMHO)
that there are some some heavy duty mathphiles who take great objection
of there being any other way to do things than with math. No body has
ever said you were wrong to only use math. Never. I think that was very
clear in my original postings (here and in P3D) and from several other
people. But please don't jump all over those of us who do not
religiously follow the golden ruler. We (the "Don't Worry, Shoot Happy"
crowd) willingly accept you and are even trying to join in and
understand the numbers game, but you don't seem as willing to accept us
and an alternative way of accomplishing the same results. Why not? And
how many times to I have to congratulate the math people for the
presentation of their data?

Andrea Blair
asblair@xxxxxxxxxxx