T3D Re: ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

  • From: George Gioumousis <georggms@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 19:40:42 -0700 (PDT)

Andrea Blair wrote

----------------- snip ----------------------

> I am afraid I ignited the spark that this explosion came from some time
> ago on P3D. It just migrated to T3D after awhile. I was only looking for
> something simple to pass on to new macro stereographers using one SLR.
> O.K., now I know. There is no such thing. There have been so called
> *easy* formulas put forward using a flashlight, a calculator, a
> spreadsheet (requiring a computer of some sort), and probably others
> (has anyone mentioned a slide rule yet?).
>
> Can I ask this: Why is it so hard to accept that sometimes there can be
> more than one correct solution to the same problem?
>
> Respectfully submitted (but still frustrated)
>
> Andrea Blair
> asblair@xxxxxxxxxxx

I do believe Andrea suffers from mathophobia. Some time ago, I think, a
consensus developed that even moderate math disturbed too many people on
photo-3d, so it was more appropriate for t3d. I think it might not be a
bad idea to report back to the parent group that progress is being made,
and promise to report in full when a some agreement is achieved. In the
meantime, perhaps we could be left in peace to pursue _our_ madnesses.

During the math-related unpleasantness in p3d, Andrea accused me of
being jealous of her PSA winnings for her macro pictures. As it turned
out, I had no idea that she was doing well in the PSA contests.
Furthermore, after getting honorable mentions three times in a row
in the Putnam Contest, I haven't felt jealous of anyone except
Field Medal winners, and some Nobel Prize winners.

Respectfully submitted,

George Gioumousis
GeorgGms@xxxxxxxxxx