T3D I'm going off topic (was Re: T3D From Euclid to Wheatstone and

  • From: Jim Crowell <crowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D I'm going off topic (was Re: T3D From Euclid to Wheatstone and
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:15:52 -0700

At 10:23 AM -0700 10/20/98, abram klooswyk wrote:

>So I arrive at three propositions:
>America could not have been discovered before central linear
>perspective.
>The stereoscope could not have been invented before the stethoscope.
>Man at this millennium end tends to identify himself with the computer.
>
>I suppose these are enough provocations for now.

Actually, Abram, it's the first of these claims that I find most bizarre.
Calling Columbus "main-stream" and the others not is overly facile.  What
exactly do you see as the qualitative difference between these two
discoveries?

Also, I'd be curious to hear your views on individuality in Greek
philosophy (Socrates & the pre-Socratics in particular), but the moderator
might whack my knuckles with a ruler...  :-)

-Jim C.

Jim Crowell
Caltech Division of Biology
Mail Code 216-76