T3D Re: I'm going off topic (was Re: T3D From Euclid to

  • From: "William J. Carter, Ph.D." <wc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Re: I'm going off topic (was Re: T3D From Euclid to
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:25:54 -0700

At 12:16 PM 10/20/98 -0600, Jim Crowell wrote:

>Also, I'd be curious to hear your views on individuality in Greek
>philosophy (Socrates & the pre-Socratics in particular), but the moderator
>might whack my knuckles with a ruler...  :-)

As this thread has been picked up here, I will repost my comment on Abram's
excellent post which I had earlier sent to P3D:

>Since ancient times visual *distance* and *depth* perception also were
>studied, but except for Leonardo da Vinci nobody wrote anything on
>*binocular* depth perception. A few hints to it are recorded in the
>18th century, but the great step forward came only with Wheatstone.
<snip>
>Some say there were no stereodrawings before Wheatstone because the
>Stereoscope was not invented, so a merely technical cause. This is
>unlikely because:
>1. Wheatstone made stereodrawings before he made a stereoscope, and
>   he describes freeviewing, crossed and uncrossed, and aids for it.

As a possible argument to '1' above, in "La Vision parfaite", written in
1677 by the Capuchin friar, le pere Cherubin, there is a discussion and
construction diagram of Cherubin stereoscopic microscope. Wheatstone knew of
this seventeenth-century microscope, for he described it in "Transactions of
the Microscopal Society" (1853, I, 99-102).

End of TECH-3D Digest 393