T3D Re: projection lamps

  • From: fj834@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dr. George A. Themelis)
  • Subject: T3D Re: projection lamps
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:35:31 -0400 (EDT)

>In the latest Stereo World, Duggan says you shouldn't
>run air over projection lamps after the lamps are
>turned off.  I hear that all the time.  Why is that?

There was a discussion in P3d a few years back.  My understanding is
that this applies to quartz halogen bulbs.  Thermal stresses caused
by blowing cold air on the hot bulb might cause the bulb the crack.
But this does not apply to the older (non-halogen) bulbs used in
vintage stereo projectors.  Perhaps we can ask Duggan directly...

George Themelis

End of TECH-3D Digest 394