T3D RE: Still looking for a film splicer/cutter

  • From: E R Swanson <ers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D RE: Still looking for a film splicer/cutter
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:52:31 -0800 (PST)

The easy way to do this is get a 35mm film strip splicer. For years, 35mm
filmstrip projectors were used in libraries for children's story times,
and also used commercially for business presentations. The splicers made
for them are very simple cutters, cast base with stamped sheet metal
cutter, and with registration pins. You use standard 35mm splicing tape.
The splicing tape shouldn't be a problem re covering images, because of
normal stereo separation. However I'd think you'd have to make a negative
from the positive, then splice that, or shoot negative film and only
expose every other shot on the counter, or you'll have a problem with
exposures on the original material butting up and thus be unsplicable
without covering some of the image area. (I'm assuming you're going to
slice and dice the negative, so you want free space on each side of each
image.)  --Elliott