T3D Re: 30:1=~75"

  • From: bercov@xxxxxxxxxxx (John Bercovitz)
  • Subject: T3D Re: 30:1=~75"
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 09:47:43 -0700

> Are we trying to make an art out of a science or a science out of
> an art here?  Yes to both?

I think the former is what is done on P3D and the latter is what is
done on T3D.  (Just joking; I doubt that's true. 8-)

You bring up an interesting point, though.  How come people can stand
so much more total depth in real life than in a stereo pair?  I used
to think it was because in real life you focus on the near stuff and
the far stuff goes out of focus and vice versa.  But now that I can't
focus any more, I wonder.  I also wonder if motion parallax doesn't
help keep things sorted out.

The 1 in 30 rule for total depth from nearest to farthest object is
pretty conservative.  With the right arrangement of objects, you
can do much more in a stereo pair.  Bill Carter thinks you can do
much more if you let the too-near and too-far objects go out of
focus.  From what I have seen of his stuff, I tend to agree.

John B

End of TECH-3D Digest 495