T3D Re: Stereo "window" basics sought

  • From: bercov@xxxxxxxxxxx (John Bercovitz)
  • Subject: T3D Re: Stereo "window" basics sought
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:05:47 -0700

> If I'm shooting a flower from, say, 200mm away (macro) with a 35mm SLR
> equippied with a 50mm lens, what adjustment should I make to my stereo base
> (my calculations put it at 4mm) and/or my base when mounting to create the
> effect of the flower protruding through the window toward me?

Poking through the window is just a matter of the separation of the left
and right images compared to the separation of the left and right apertures
of the stereo mount.  If the image separation is greater than the aperture
separation, then the 3D image will lie farther away than the window.  Vice
versa, if the image separation is less than the aperture separation, the
3D image will lie closer to you than the window.

John B