T3D Stereo base equation

  • From: Peter Abrahams <telscope@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: T3D Stereo base equation
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:42:11 -0700

Although I find the equations & mathematics used for stereo photography to
be very interesting (they represent the balance between the optical
parameters of the lens, film, and eye); I do not use them when shooting,
and I believe that very few people stop shooting to calculate.  I look at
the object, consider the depth within the object, the background (in focus
or not), my distance from the object, the focal length of the lens as shown
in the viewfinder, etc......and shoot.  I've made some mistakes, and since
film is relatively cheap I'll 'bracket' the stereo base just like I bracket
exposures when they're in question.  There is no need to pursue the
equations, unless you enjoy them.  There is a need to understand what the
equations represent, but if you've had success in shooting, you're mostly
there.

The stereo window of the slides is controlled in mounting, and if you get
some RBT mounts, you can adjust them easily & see the effect; though you
can do the same with any mount.
I have a word doc of clippings from photo3d about the stereo window that I
can send, also one on stereo base.  Or you can get more complete texts by
searching the archives.

Peter Abrahams   telscope@xxxxxxxxxx